Community College Internship (CCI)
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for community college students seeking to enter technical careers.
Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipend ($500 per week)
- Travel expenses
- Free housing on Stanford University Campus
- Students can purchase Cardinal Dollars which can be used for food at Stanford dining facilities and in several local restaurants and on campus
Find out what student alumni enjoy about their experiences!
During the internship, each student works with a mentor on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities supporting SLAC's mission. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of lectures focused on professional development, science, and tours.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, view our:
Past CCI Projects:
Who Should Apply?
Students much be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying. They must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours toward a degree.
- October 09, 2015: online application opens
- January 8, 2016: application and letters of recommendations deadline
- April 1, 2016: all offers are made by this date
- Program Dates: June 20 to August 19, 2016 (option for eight week program ends on August 12)
Eligibility for CCI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be at least 18 years or older at the time the internship begins
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent at the time of applying
- Ability to commit to an 8 or 9 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online CCI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full 8 or 9 week program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must complete the entrance and exit surveys through the online system.
- Must complete and submit a 6-8 page final paper and give a brief presentation on the outcome of their project.
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner. Please review Stanford’s Code of Conduct and SLAC’s Respectful Workplace Policy.
For more information on deliverables, visit: Community College (CCI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact: