Community College Internship (CCI)
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for community college students seeking to enter technical careers.
Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipend ($500 per week)
- Travel expenses
- Free housing on Stanford University Campus
- Students can purchase Cardinal Dollars which can be used for food at Stanford dining facilities and in several local restaurants and on campus
Find out what student alumni enjoy about their experiences!
During the internship, each student works with a mentor on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities supporting SLAC's mission. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of lectures focused on professional development, science, and tours.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, click here.
Past CCI Projects:
Who Should Apply?
Students must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying. They must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours toward a degree.
- Online Application Opens: October 16, 2017
- Application Deadline: January 18, 2018
- Complete: April 6, 2018
- Program Dates: June 25 to August 24, 2018 (option for eight week program ends on August 17)
Eligibility for CCI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time the internship begins
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent at the time of applying
- Ability to commit to a full 8 or 9 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online CCI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full 8 or 9 week program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must complete and submit a 6-8 page final paper and give a brief oral presentation on their summer research project.
- Must prepare and submit an abstract understandable project by a general audience.
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner. Please review Stanford’s Code of Conduct and SLAC’s Respectful Workplace Policy.
For more information on deliverables, visit: Community College (CCI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information
Please visit the CCI website to learn more about the program and its requirements.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact: