Community College Internship (CCI)
Summer 2021 CCI Applications are due January 12, 2021 5pm ET. You can apply here
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for community college students seeking to enter technical careers.
The CCI Program is sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science's Office of Workplace Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS).
The 2021 summer program at SLAC will be virtual and runs for nine or ten weeks. Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipend ($600 per week)
- Housing Allowance ($150 per week)
During the internship, each student works with a mentor on technologies or instrumentation projects, or on research projects supporting SLAC's mission. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of lectures focused on professional development, science, and tours.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, click here.
Past CCI Projects:
Who Should Apply?
Students must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying. They must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours toward a degree.
- Online Application Opens: October 20, 2020
- Application Deadline: January 12, 2021 at 5:00pm Eastern Time
- Program Dates: If the internships need to be completed remotely, the start date will be June 14, 2021. If students are onsite, the start date will be June 21, 2021. End dates will be either August 13, 2021 or August 20, 2021.;
Eligibility for CCI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time the internship begins
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent at the time of applying
- Ability to commit to the full 8 - 10 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online CCI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
- Send an e-mail to Enrique Cuellar expressing your interest in SLAC's program at email@example.com
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must prepare and submit an abstract for a general audience (not DOE Deliverable)
- Must give a 10 minute brief oral presentation on their summer research project.
- Must complete and submit a final paper.
- Must complete a peer review (not a DOE Deliverable).
- Must complete a pre- and post-survey
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner.
For more information on deliverables, visit: Community College Internship (SULI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information:
Please visit the DOE CCI website to learn more about the Community College Internship Program: https://science.osti.gov/wdts/cci
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact:
SULI Program Director
Intern Program Administrator