Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) Program
Summer 2023 Term SULI Applications are due January 10, 2023 5pm ET. You can apply here.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering to conduct research.
The SULI Program is sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science's Office of Workplace Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS).
The 2023 summer program at SLAC will be in-person and runs for eight or 9 weeks. Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipend ($650 per week)
During the internship, each student works with a scientist or engineer on a project related to the Laboratory’s research program. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of scientific lectures, professional development workshops and tours. Student projects range from solar-cell technology to astrophysics, from cancer drug research to particle physics and accelerator design, and from biocompatibility of medical devices to ultrafast (femtosecond) phenomena.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, click here.
Descriptions of past SULI student projects:
Who Should Apply:
Students must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited institution, and, in 2023, also have completed at least one year as a matriculating undergraduate student at the time of applying. Starting in 2023, this restriction will no longer apply and students can apply during their Freshman year. Applicants who will complete their undergraduate degree prior to the start of the internship may apply as a "Graduating Senior". Please refer to the Eligibility requirements located here.
- Online Application Opens: October 18, 2022
- Application Deadline: January 10, 2023 at 5:00pm Eastern Time
- Program Dates: If the internships need to be completed remotely, the start date will be June 19, 2023. If students are onsite, the start date will be June 19, 2023. End dates will be August 25, 2023.
Eligibility for SULI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
- Must be at least 18 years or older at the time the internship begins
- Undergraduate majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM)
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Ability to commit to the full 8-10 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online SULI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
- Send an e-mail to Hillary Freeman expressing your interest in SLAC's program at email@example.com
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must prepare and submit an abstract for a general audience.
- Must give a 10 minute brief oral presentation on their summer research project.
- Must complete and submit a final paper.
- Must complete a peer review.
- Must complete a pre- and post-survey.
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner.
For more information on deliverables, visit: Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information:
Please visit the DOE SULI website to learn more about the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship Program: https://science.osti.gov/wdts/suli
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact:
STEM Education Program Manager
Intern Program Administrator