Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) Program
Summer 2018 Term SULI Applications are due January 12, 2018. You can apply here.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering to conduct research.
The SULI Program is sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science's Office of Workplace Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS).
The 2018 summer program at SLAC runs for nine weeks, from June 25 to August 14. An optional 8-week program runs from June 25 to August 17.
Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipends ($500/week)
- Travel expenses
- Free housing on Stanford University Campus
- Students can purchase Cardinal Dollars which can be used for food at Stanford dining facilities and in several local restaurants and on campus
Find out what student alumni enjoy about their experiences!
During the internship, each student works with a scientist or engineer on a project related to the Laboratory’s research program. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of scientific lectures, professional development workshops and tours. Student projects range from solar-cell technology to astrophysics, from cancer drug research to particle physics and accelerator design, and from biocompatibility of medical devices to ultrafast (femtosecond) phenomena.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, click here.
Descriptions of past SULI student projects:
Who Should Apply:
Students must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited institution, and also have completed at least one year as a matriculating undergraduate student at the time of applying. Applicants who will complete their undergraduate degree prior to the start of the internship may apply as a "Graduating Senior". Please refer to the Eligibility requirements located here.
- Online Application Opens: October 16, 2017
- Applications Due: January 12, 2018 at 5:00pm Eastern Time
- Start Date (both 8 week and 9 week options): June 25, 2018
- End Dates: 8 week option: August 17, 2018 - 10 week option: August 24, 2018
Eligibility for SULI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
- Must be at least 18 years or older at the time the internship begins
- Undergraduate majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM)
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Ability to commit to an 8 or 9 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online SULI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
- Send an e-mail to Enrique Cuellar expressing your interest in SLAC's program at firstname.lastname@example.org
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full 8 or 9 week program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must complete and submit a 6-8 page final paper and give a brief presentation of their summer research.
- Must prepare and submit an abstract understandable brief oral presentation to a general audience.
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner. Please review Stanford’s Code of Conduct and SLAC’s Respectful Workplace Policy.
For more details on deliverables, visit: Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information
Please visit the SULI website to learn more about the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship Program.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact: