Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) Program
Summer 2016 Term SULI Applications are due January 8, 2016. You can apply here.
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory is a world-renowned laboratory with research opportunities in physics, chemistry, materials and environmental sciences, astrophysics, scientific computing, and many engineering fields. SLAC’s summer internship program offers exciting opportunities for undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering to conduct research.
The SULI Program is sponsored by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science's Office of Workplace Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS).
The 2016 summer program at SLAC runs for nine weeks, from June 20 to August 19. An optional 8-week program runs from June 20 to August 12.
Students selected for internships receive:
- Stipends ($500/week)
- Travel expenses
- Free housing on Stanford University Campus
- Students can purchase Cardinal Dollars which can be used for food at Stanford dining facilities and in several local restaurants and on campus
Find out what student alumni enjoy about their experiences!
During the internship, each student works with a scientist or engineer on a project related to the Laboratory’s research program. At the conclusion of the internship, the student writes a research paper and makes a brief presentation on his or her project. Students also participate in a series of scientific lectures, professional development workshops and tours. Student projects range from solar-cell technology to astrophysics, from cancer drug research to particle physics and accelerator design, and from biocompatibility of medical devices to ultrafast (femtosecond) phenomena.
To learn more about the research conducted at SLAC, view our:
Descriptions of past SULI student projects:
Who Should Apply?
SLAC has strong research programs in many fields, including astrophysics, condensed matter physics, particle physics, materials science, environmental science, chemistry, biology, computer science, geochemistry and optics.
- October 9, 2015: online application opens
- January 8, 2016: application and letters of recommendation's deadline
- April 1, 2016: all offers are made by this date
- Program Dates: June 20 to August 19, 2016 (with an option for an eight week program ending on August 12)
Eligibility for SULI Internship:
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
- Must be at least 18 years or older at the time the internship begins
- Undergraduate majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM)
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Ability to commit to an 8 or 9 week program at SLAC
- Complete the Department of Energy's online SULI internship application
- Specify SLAC as your first choice laboratory assignment
- Send an e-mail to Enrique Cuellar expressing your interest in SLAC's program at email@example.com
Program participants must complete the following:
- Must complete the full 8 or 9 week program. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their projects or participating in development activities.
- Must complete the entrance and exit surveys through the online system.
- Must complete and submit a 6-8 page final paper and give a brief presentation of their project.
- Must behave in a responsible and professional manner. Please review Stanford’s Code of Conduct and SLAC’s Respectful Workplace Policy.
For more details on deliverables, visit: Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) Program Deliverables Requirements and Guidelines.
For More Information
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact: